Monday 17 March 2008

AAE Q134: 'meet' vs 'meet with'

Hi

What is the difference between 'I will meet you' and 'I will meet with you'?

Thanks



Hi

  • I will meet you
There is a difference: I will meet you or I'll meet you, could mean all kinds of things. It could mean that we're going to have a meeting, and we're going to do some work together; but it could simply mean that's where we're going to see each other, and we're going to go and do something else afterwards.
  • I will meet with you
'I will meet with you' does imply a number of things: it implies that it's quite formal; it implies that it's very professional reasons and it implies that somehow, we're going to collaborate on something ...and that it will go on for quite a long time.

Hope this helps

M


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,

Anonymous said...

Content rich, so give me some inspiration, I like this blog! I will introduce my friends to come and see!Personalized signatures:本地棋牌游戏,本地方言游戏,本地视频游戏尽在pkzhu

Anonymous said...

Good article, good things, good feelings, good BLOG!

Anonymous said...

This explanation does not match my understanding. I think this is a recent introduction to American English which even more recently has found its way into British English. It flows, I believe, from a desire to differentiate between meeting someone for the first time "I met" and getting together with someone you have already met "I met with". It's one of the neologisms I dislike, because you can qualify either statement more elegantly in other ways, assuming it isn't obvious to your audience from context which you mean.

Anonymous said...

fast loans uk