Monday 26 March 2007

Ask About English Q27: 'think of / think about'

Hi

I've read many times the difference between: think of... and think about. Can you help me remember these two words?

Then : I am not clear about : made of.... and made from.
I do know, there is a difference. But I can't remember it. I have troubles with using them.

Thank you.


Hi

'think of' usually means 'imagine'
"I'm thinking of a tropical beach" means I am imagining or daydreaming about it.

'think about' is closer to 'consider'
"I'm thinking about going on holiday" means I am considering going on holiday

However when we talk about people we often use them in the same way. For example, if my friend was in hospital, I might send a card with the message:

'I'm thinking of you,' or 'I'm thinking about you',

For the difference between 'made of' and 'made from' see my previous post here

Hope this answers you question

Matt

No comments: