Sunday 14 October 2007

AAE Q100: 'until' or 'as long as'

Hi,

What¨s the difference between until and as long as?

Thank you.



Hi,

As long as

The as ... as construction is used when we are making comparisons and comparing ideas of similar magnitude or duration.

He worked for as long as he wanted to on the project.
Take as long as you like," they said. "There's no hurry!"
As long as I live, I shall smoke no more cigarettes.

Note that as long as is also used in conditional sentences as an alternative to provided, meaning if and only if. So long as is also possible in this context:

I don't mind. You can leave early, as long as you finish the work.
I don't mind. You can leave after lunch, provided you finish all the work.


Until

preposition
  1. Up to the time of: 'We danced until dawn.'
  2. Before (a specified time): 'She can't leave until Friday.'
conjunction
  1. Up to the time that: 'We walked until it got dark'.
  2. Before: 'You cannot leave until your work is finished.'
  3. To the point or extent that: 'I talked until I was hoarse.'

Hope this helps

M

No comments: