Friday 30 November 2007

AAE Q111: 'attempt' or 'try'

Hi!

I´ve tried to leave a message on your site, but the system has detected me as a spammer.. but I´m not... ;-)

I would like to ask you what is the difference between "try" and "attempt" ?

Thank you very much!


Hi,

Try, Attempt.

To try is the generic, to attempt is the specific, term. When we try, we are usually uncertain as to success; when we attempt, we have always some definite object in view which we seek to accomplish. We may be indifferent as to the result of a trial, but we rarely attempt anything without a desire to succeed.

Hope this helps

1 comment:

pepperos said...

Can anyone give me more examples of sentences with attempt and try in context? I understand the difference, but I'm not sure about using it in real.
thank you.