Thursday 3 April 2008

AAE Q136: 'cold turkey'

Hi Matt.

What does mean expression"cold turkey"


thanx



Hi,

"Cold turkey" is a slang expression describing the actions of a person who gives up a addiction or habit all at once.

For example:
"I am going to give up smoking; I am going cold turkey from tomorrow"
"My bad shoulder forced me to quit playing tennis cold turkey."

This term may have come from the earlier expression talk turkey (for blunt speaking). At first used strictly for abrupt withdrawal from drugs or alcohol, it soon was transferred to quitting any habit or activity.

Matt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,

Anonymous said...

On this point, this is your opinion? It appears that we need to communicate!

Anonymous said...

Although we have differences in culture, but do not want is that this view is the same and I like that!