Wednesday 18 April 2007

Phrasal Verbs: put

put * across + communicate (an idea or suggestion) clearly so that it is understood I thought Ms. Smith put her ideas across rather clearly in the meeting.
put * away + return to the proper place of storage I told you kids to put your toys away.
put * down + insult, say bad things about She always puts down people who don't share her opinions.
put in + officially submit a request (in the armed forces or public services) He put in for a transfer to the division in Los Angeles.
put * off + postpone Don't put off your work - do it now!
put * on + wear Make sure you put on a sweater before you go outside.
put * on + deceive I didn't believe a thing he said. I think he was putting me on.
put * out + extinguish (a fire) Don't use water to put out a grease fire.
put * out + inconvenience someone I don't want to put you out, but could you pick me up at the airport.
put out + spend (usually used with unreasonably large sums of money) I can't put out that much money each month.
put * up have a guest stay in your house for a short time Can you put me up while I'm in town.
put up with + tolerate Sandy will not put up with smoking in her house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Table helped very much, thanks.