Monday 18 June 2007

AAE Q73: a few questions from Miriam

Hi Matt

Please, what does exactly this sentence mean: (I saw it in a dialogue between two friends):

"I´m so happy for you."

Does it mean that I share your happiness together with you or I am delighted with you and proud of your success. And, please, how do you express that incorrect meaning.

Hi. "I´m so happy for you." does mean that I share your happiness with you. It is normally said to a close friend or family member when something good has happened to them and you want to express that you are glad that they have had this good fortune.

May I also ask you what is the difference between these tree expresions:

fetch / pick up

The main difference between these two verbs is:
fetch means to go and pick something up and then bring it back .

The dog fetched the stick we had thrown (the dog ran, picked it up and brought it back)
Can you fetch me a newspaper when you are at the shop? (can you go to the shop, buy me a newspaper and bring it back?)

fall asleep / be asleep

falling asleep is the process between being awake and being asleep
I go to bed - first I am awake, then I fall asleep and finally I am asleep

rate / price

rate = price per unit, and is often associated with the cost of a service, e.g.:
The price for the car is £5,000
The rate for hiring a lawyer is £25 an hour

And with refference to Jan´s answer yesterday, Do you say: It is sweet as honey. or It is sweet like honey. And why?

Firstly please take a look at here for an explanation of the difference between 'as' and 'like'. In your examples 'as' and 'like' are prepositions. In basic terms 'as' means 'the same as' and 'like' mean 'similar to'.

Secondly the simile is: "It is as sweet as honey" (not 'It is sweet as honey'). This is a comparative and means that 'it' and 'honey' have the same level of sweetness. If we say "It is sweet like honey" it means that 'it' is sweet similarly to how 'honey' is sweet.

I hope this answers your questions

Matt


No comments: