Monday 18 June 2007

Phrasal Verbs: take

take after + resemble a parent or relative I take after my father. Who do you take after?
take * away + remove, seize or capture The soldiers took the captives away.
take * back + retract something you said I demand that you take back what you said.
take * back + return an item to a store The dress my grandmother bought for me didn't fit, so I took it back and exchanged it for a pair of pants.
take * down + write down what is said Would you mind taking down my messages while I am on vacation?
take * down + remove (from a high place) The city government made the shop take down their bright, neon sign.
take * for consider, view as Do you take me for an idiot?
take * in + learning Are you taking in all of these phrasal verbs?
take * in + deceive a person He was taken in by the con artist.
take * in + make smaller when sewing I lost weight, so I need to take some of my skirts to the tailor to have them taken in.
take * off when a plane or rocket leaves the ground My stomach felt funny when the plane took off.
take * off + remove In many cultures, it is appropriate to take off your shoes when entering a house.
take * off + leave work or school for a period of time I was sick last week, so I took a few days off of work.
take off leave We took off after dinner.
take on + accept (responsibilities, work) She has taken on too much responsibility in this project.
take * over + take control of Who is going to take over the family business when Aretha's father dies?
take over take control of If the President is assassinated, the Vice-president will take over.
take * out + accompany a person on a date (for dinner, the movies) I can't meet you tonight because I am taking Fernanda out to dinner.
take * up + begin a new hobby Have you taken up any new hobbies since you moved here?
take * up + discuss (at a later date) We should take this issue up in the meeting tomorrow.
take * up + shorten a garment when sewing This dress is too long, I am going to take it up.
take up + occupy space This couch takes up too much space in the living room.

No comments: