Friday 18 July 2008

AAE Q145: 'longest word'

Hi,

I have a bee in my bonnet about what's the longest word in English?

Thanks for the answer

Best regards Roman


Hi,

It really depends what you mean by the longest word, but the longest recognised, non-technical word (which isn't a place name) is:

antidisestablishmentarianism


It is a political position that originated in nineteenth-century Britain, where antidisestablishmentarians were opposed to proposals to remove the Church of England's status as the state church of England forwarded principally by both Payne and Tuffin.

Thanks

M

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you write a so cool blog,i am watting your new post in the future!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I have seen in other places similar to the article, but it is not written in detail so that your works!

Anonymous said...

I will pass on your article introduced to my other friends, because really good!