Tuesday 23 January 2007

Pronunciation Tips: Informal Contractions

If you want to (wanna) understand English native speakers better, then it is useful to know these spoken contractions of words

ain't = am not/are not/is not

I ain't sure.
You ain't my boss.
ain't = has not/have not
I ain't done it.
She ain't finished yet.

gimme = give me
Gimme your money.
Don't gimme that rubbish.
Can you gimme a hand?

gonna = going to
Nothing's gonna change my love for you.
I'm not gonna tell you.
What are you gonna do?

gotta = (have) got a
I've gotta gun.
I gotta gun.
She hasn't gotta penny.
Have you gotta car?
gotta = (have) got to
I've gotta go now.
I gotta go now.
We haven't gotta do that.
Have they gotta work?

kinda = kind of
She's kinda cute.

lemme = let me
Lemme go!

wanna = want to
I wanna go home.

wanna = want a
I wanna coffee.

whatcha = what are you
Whatcha going to do? or
Whatcha gonna do?
whatcha = what have you
Whatcha got there?

ya = you
Who saw ya?



No comments: